Friday, December 27, 2013

Day 10

Ten days down and eighteen more to go.  Today I saw the first real effects the chemo pills are having on Mom.  She has never been one to complain.  She has taken care of others her whole life.  Trying to convince her to take it easy is a difficult task.  When I picked her up this morning to take her to radiation, I could tell she was really dragging.  I somehow convinced her to take a nap when I dropped her off and to let me do her shopping.  I think she ended up taking two naps today, which has to be a record.

So, to top off the incredible timing of this cancer diagnosis, she also found out last week someone got her information and has used it to open credit cards in her name.  I just love that some family out there probably had an amazing Christmas with tons of gifts (based on the amount of money they charged).  So, while she is trying to remain as stress-free as possible in order to take the best care of herself, she also has this happening at the same time.

Back to the appointment today...every Friday after her radiation treatment, she has what they call a Weekly See.  She meets with the radiation oncologist to discuss any side effects, questions, etc.  This is the first time I've been to one of these appointments.  Of course, the regular doc was on vacation (understandable), but the guy who was filling in was clearly not psyched about it.  Luckily, she has no reactions to the radiation since his reaction to a concern she had about something that could or could not be related was, "Well, we will just have to keep an eye on that."  He then proceeded to ask if we had any questions as he walked out the door.  I'm not sure why I was so bothered by him.  I have been extremely pleased with everyone else since all of this began.  Maybe I'm just tired.

She has the weekend off to rest and will resume treatment on Monday.  My sister is coming into town since they couldn't be here for Christmas.  Hopefully this visit will help lift Mom's spirits a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment